Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thrifty Thursday!

I am so proud that I am still sticking to my daily posts! I hope everyone has enjoyed reading them and found some inspiration here! Today's post is going to focus on thrifty crafting. Each Thursday I am going to make a project incorporating found objects, bits and pieces, or homemade embellishments. These posts will help you save money or create one of a kind projects!
For the first week of Thrifty Thursday I decided to get a jump start on my card for my sister-in-laws baby shower! This card turned out super soft and pretty. Many of the things I used gave it a vintage feel which I love. Here is the card I created:


I started out with a white card base. I then cut a piece of cream paper from the Basic Grey Basics manilla line.(I am totally loving the white/cream/tan color combo lately) Then, I haphazardly cut a rectangle slightly smaller than the manilla from a vintage McCall's pattern. Next, I torn a square off the Dear Lizzy Magnolia Manor fabric paper. I attached a small piece of vintage lace, knotted, near the bottom of the card. I recently found a tutorial for my flower on October Afternoon blog by the wonderful Amy Heller! She is so talented and makes many unique embellishments! This flower uses only paper, punches, glue, and a button. (punches are optional if you can hand-cut). They do not take very long to assemble. I have pre-made several now in several colors to use on projects in the future!

I finished off my card with a scrabble tile from a game I bought in a thrift store for 50 cents!!! You may have noticed that this project was created using many of the left over pieces from previous projects this week. A great tip to stock piling cards to use on future holidays and occasions is: any time you create a project, while your supplies are still out, use the left over pieces to create a quick card or two! If you get yourself in this habit you will be amazed at how many cards you can add to your stash! We all love sending handmade cards, however, often times we do not have the time to create them when the occasion presents itself. By creating cards in advance and storing them it is easy to pull out what you need!!
I hope you guys enjoyed today's post and will give thrifting a shot!! Join me tomorrow for 52 Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment